Welcome to Penn’s International Internship Program (IIP)
Penn’s International Internship Program (IIP) provides opportunities for outstanding undergraduate and graduate students to intern abroad for eight to twelve weeks over the summer.
The majority of internship placements have been with non-profit or non-governmental organizations, but the nature of the placements varies greatly. Some IIP placements require office work, while others require hands-on work at field sites, schools, or clinics. Each intern will receive an award to offset their internship-related expenses, including flight, visa expenses, housing and food, funded by the University of Pennsylvania. These global opportunities allow students to apply the academic knowledge they have obtained, while enriching their overall Penn experience with diverse cultural and international exposure and valuable work experience.
If you are interested in spending a summer abroad doing work related to your academic concentration or interests, we encourage you to explore the IIP placements available and contact us with any questions.
The application for the summer 2016 International Internship Program will open in December. Visit the Application page for more information!
Internships for summer 2016 will be posted on a rolling basis between November 2015 and January 2016. In the meantime, browse the website to learn more about IIP and take a look at last year's IIP placements.
Follow the IIP Interns Blog!
- Aug 19 3:38PM
- Adventures in a Commune in Sanyi, Taiwan
- After completing my internship at Science Workshop in Hong Kong, I took a five day trip to Sanyi, Taiwan, where I lived on a commune with around 30 other people. The place was called Son of Man and is a Baptist organization dedicated to spreading its religious messages of love, healing, and acceptance. They regularly […]
- Aug 19 3:11PM
- Working at Science Workshop
- This summer, I’ve had the amazing opportunity to gain real job experience at Science Workshop. Science Workshop is a private education center, focused on teaching advanced science to young children. I was able to work mainly with children ages 5-8, introducing them to concepts like density, air resistance, and kinetic energy. It was fascinating to […]
- Aug 17 2:47PM
- Coming soon to theaters near you…
- Goodbyes are always bittersweet, and this summer in Science Workshop is no exception. Thinking back to the IIP orientation before the summer, I recall Cara telling everyone that we may feel a “reverse homesickness” as the summer wraps up. At the time, I did not consider it, but I realize how true that statement holds […]
Learn about upcoming IIP events below.
Dyana So, IIP Summer 2014 intern in Israel, had this video featured on SAS Frontiers.
Lauren McCann, IIP Summer 2013 intern in Botswana, submitted this video to Penn Abroad's Travel Arts Festival.