Academic training is designed to allow J-1 students the opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to a practical work experience off campus. Academic training should be directly related to his or her major field of study at the post-secondary accredited academic institution listed on his or her Form DS-2019 (note: refer to the Subject/Field code on Form DS-2019). It is available for full or part-time employment to those in both degree and non-degree programs. Academic training can be paid or unpaid, and can be used before or after the completion of the academic program.
- Any changes in terms and conditions of the authorized academic training must be reviewed and approved by ISSS in advance and in writing.
- Please let us know if your dependents are in the US. They will also require updated DS-2019s.
- ISSS is required to report in SEVIS any address changes for University-sponsored students, so you must continue to update your local address and other contact information in Penn InTouch (or email changes to ) while on academic training.
- Throughout your period of academic training, you must maintain permission to stay in the US in J-1 student status and apply for extensions as necessary.
- You must maintain adequate health insurance coverage (per the US Department of State) for yourself and any J-2 dependents throughout your academic training period.