What is Academic Training (AT)?
It is designed to allow J-1 students the opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to a practical work experience off campus.
- Should be directly related to the major field of study listed on your DS-2019 (refer to the Subject/Field code on your DS-2019).
- Is available for full- or part-time employment to those in degree and non-degree programs.
- Can be paid or unpaid.
- Can be used before or after the completion of the academic program.
Academic Training (AT) Overview
- You must receive AT Authorization before beginning employment, including any related orientation or training.
- For post-completion AT, you must receive authorization from ISSS before your program completion date and before the end date on your DS-2019. We recommend applying at least 3 weeks before your end date.
- Post-completion AT employment may begin up to 30 days after your program completion.
- Submit your AT electronic form in iPenn (logo above). After you log in with your Pennkey, you will find "AT Request" under Student Services in the left menu.
- If the request is for AT after completion of study, you will be prompted to pay the $150 ISSS Processing Fee after submitting the eform in iPenn.
- If you meet the requirements for AT, the RO/ARO will issue a letter authorizing your employment for a specified period of time along with an updated DS-2019. Please allow 3-5 business days for processing. During the peak / high-volume period, processing may take longer.