- Global Campus
- Global Opportunities
- Global Impact
- Global Resources
- Global Activity Map
- Global News & Events
- Message from the Director
- ISSS Staff
- News & Announcements
- Emergency Contact Information
Dear Students and Scholars,
As summer is approaching, we are writing to provide important travel information. It is crucial for you to proactively prepare for your return to the US to avoid travel delays/problems, such as an I-515A, etc.
We recommend that you meet with an OIP-ISSS advisor to review your immigration status and documents before leaving the United States. We also recommend that you carefully read our travel information (including visa processing) at http://www.upenn.edu/oip/isss/travel.
If you need a new travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019, please visit OIP-ISSS at least a week before leaving the US. F/J Travel signatures are valid for one year, except for F-1 students on post-completion OPT which has the six-month validity. Travel signatures are available at OIP-ISSS from 10am to 4pm on business days.
When you return to the US, it is very important to check at the port of entry (e.g. airport) that the I-94 card is properly marked by an immigration officer. It is more difficult to correct errors once you leave the immigration inspection site. Should your I-94 card contain any errors, immediately meet with an OIP-ISSS advisor.
Have a safe trip.
The OIP-ISSS Staff
*** OIP-ISSS Advising Hours: http://www.upenn.edu/oip/isss/hours ***
* F-1 students: The I-94 card should be marked "F-1" and "D/S." The F-2 dependent’s I-94 card should be marked "F-2" and "D/S."
* J-1 students and scholars: The I-94 card should be marked "J-1" and "D/S." The J-2 dependent’s I-94 card should be marked "J-2" and "D/S."
* H-1B employees: The I-94 card should be marked "H-1B" and the end date of your Penn H-1B approval notice (Form I-797). The H-4 dependent’s I-94 card should be marked "H-4" and the same end date as the H-1B employee. H-1B employees with more than one employer should have all employers noted on the back of the I-94 card by presenting all H-1B approval notices.
* O-1 and E-3 employees: Consult an OIP-ISSS advisor for details
Special notes for Fs and Js: When you return to the US, you might be issued a Form ***I-515A*** (with only a 30-day stay marked on your I-94 card) for a missing or outdated I-20/DS-2019. If you are issued an I-515A, please meet with an OIP-ISSS advisor as soon as you return to the US, no later than the 10 days after the date of entry. If you do not submit proper I-515A materials to DHS to the correct address in a timely manner, your legal status in the US may be seriously jeopardized.