There will be a reception and exhibition of the winning photographs on Thursday, March 29 from 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM in The World Forum of Perry World House. Prizes will be awarded at this event. This event is open to all Penn Abroad returnees as an opportunity to connect with other globally-minded students (who aren't tired of hearing about your awesome experience).
The Finalists Are:
This contest is a chance to reminisce and reflect on your experience studying and interning around the globe. It is also the opportunity to share your unique experience with the Penn Community. Help us encourage others to take the leap! We are accepting submissions from students that participated in a semester abroad program, a Penn Global Seminar, or the Global Internship Program. Incoming Exchange students are also welcome to submit photos from their experience here in the US. While each category has a different focus, the best submissions are a reflection of your experience of the local environment, the relationship to the local culture, or your learning experience on a Penn Abroad program.
There will be 5 top prizes selected from the contest finalists. All finalists will also receive a special prize.
- 1 Grand Prize: $75 Amazon Gift Card
- 1 People’s Choice Prize (voting process detailed below): $75 Amazon Gift Card
- 3 Top of Category Prizes: $50 Amazon Gift Cards
- 40 Finalists will receive a special prize
Around the World in 60 Seconds
Our first ever video category! In no more than 60 seconds, we challenge you to represent life and learning on a Penn abroad program. Any aspect of your time abroad such as student life, local culture, the classroom, history or community may be considered subject matter. We hope this will inspire you to be creative as you share your experience. Video, photo montage and documentary style films are all welcome!
Where Will Penn Take You?
You’re not a tourist, but a student immersed in a new culture! Save the conventional images of the Eiffel Tower and Big Ben for your photo album. Submit your best photos of discoveries that a weekend jetsetter wouldn’t stumble upon.
Not All Classrooms Have Four Walls
During your time abroad, the world is your classroom. Did you learn about tea ceremonies in Japan or marine life in Costa Rica? Share your photos of the best learning experiences that took you outside the classroom.
The finalists, grand prize winner and top category winners will be selected by Penn Abroad staff and special guest judge, Steve Weinik.
Steve is a Philadelphia based photographer, writer and researcher. He works as Staff Photographer for Mural Arts Philadelphia where he documents and shares the work of the largest public art program in the United States. His other work (research, photography, production and on-screen) on the documentary Resurrect Dead, helped earn the movie a trip to the Sundance film festival, where it won the directing award in the United States Documentary category.
His photos have been published in the New York Times, The Washington Post, National Geographic, The Guardian, Juxtapoz, designboom, Wired.com, Time Magazine, Popular Photography, The Wall Street Journal, The Sundance Institute as well as dozens of other books, journals, periodicals, newspapers and on countless websites.
People’s Choice Award
Voting for the People’s Choice Award will take place on the Penn Abroad Facebook Page beginning Wednesday, March 21 at 9:30 AM and ending Monday, March 26 at 11:59 PM. Contestants will receive an email notification when entries are up. The most points by the end of voting wins the award. Points are calculated as follows:
- Each like, comment, or share on Facebook counts as 1 point
- Multiple comments by the same person will still count as only 1 point
- If the same person likes AND comments, that would be 2 points
- If the same person likes, comments, and shares, that is 3 points
Note that only the photo categories are part of the people's choice voting process.
The competition is open to current Penn students who have been abroad through a Penn Abroad program. The competition is not restricted to a specific term abroad, but photos or videos submitted to previous competitions will not be accepted. The photo must have been taken by the person submitting the entry or the entrant must be in the photograph. If you are in the photograph and did not take the photo yourself, please make sure you have received the rights to the photo before submission.
- Applicants may submit a maximum of 3 submissions, but only 1 per contest category
- Photo(s) must be in digital form (.jpg, .tiff, .png)
- Videos must be in submitted as a digital or downloadable file (no YouTube links will be accepted)
- Entries can be submitted in either color or black and white, but should not have been significantly altered beyond basic editing
- All participants are required to submit a submission form with their entry
- File names must saved as “Last name_city_country”
- Late or incomplete submission will not be accepted
- Submissions will be accepted until Monday, March 19 at 11:59pm
- Voting for the “People’s Choice” award will take place on Facebook beginning Wednesday, March 21 and ending Monday, March 26 at 11:59 PM
- Finalists will be announced on Tuesday, March 27 at noon. Grand Prize, People’s Choice, and Top Category winners will be announced on Thursday, March 29 at the contest’s reception and exhibition