Personnel needs abroad are complex due to meeting both U.S. and foreign country labor and tax regulations. Reach out to GSS early in your planning and budgeting process to help find the best route for you.

Review the toolkit to see hiring options, including:

  • Engaging Independent Contractors
  • Hiring Locals Directly
  • Partnering with a Local Organization
  • Contracting with a Professional Employment Organization (PEO) or Global Employment Organization (GEO)
  • Utilizing a Penn Employee on Business Travel

International Relocation

Penn has an arrangement with Whalens/SIRVA to assist Penn personnel relocation out of a country. Visit Relocation Services or call the Human Resources Recruitment Office at +1-215-898-7284.

For specific questions contact:
, Executive Director of Human Resources 
Phone: +1-215-898-5896

Labor, Employment, & Tax

Hiring an individual to work for Penn outside the U.S. – whether the person is a U.S. citizen (expatriate), a host-country national, or third-country national – raises important legal and compliance issues.

  • Contact the Tax Office regarding hiring and tax regulations such as income tax obligations, reporting and withholding, Social Security taxes, and foreign tax credits.
  • Contact the GSS or Tax Office to assist you in identifying potential issues prior to hiring overseas. Some countries may require the formation of a legal entity or a special contract when hired by the University.

For more information on options available and Penn resources consult the toolkit

, Executive Director, Global Support Services
Phone: +1-215-898-4665

, Assoc. Comptroller - Tax & International Operations
Phone: +1-215-898-8967

International Benefits

  • Faculty and employees working on short-term Penn projects overseas will generally retain their university benefits, such as health insurance and retirement plans, when they continue to be paid through the U.S. payroll. 
  • Consult with your HR representative and medical insurance provider, prior to an international activity, to review your existing coverage and benefit capabilities in the country you will be traveling.