External Point of Contact
For more information consult the Local Support Provider Directory at Penn.
Review the following guidelines 4 weeks before you travel as arrangements may be necessary. Consult your Local Support Provider (LSP) for specific information and recommendations related to your devices and Penn services.
- International Calling Plan/wireless coverage: Depending on your planned usage, you can compare the usage rates among these three options: international plan, international roaming, or renting a device.
- International dialing codes: International calls require country codes which can be found on this website.
- Power voltage varies between countries and may require power adapters for your electronic devices.
- Remote access to Penn Systems and Services: Check with your LSP for requirements to access systems remotely.
- Computer repair overseas: Check the warranty status of your computer as warranties provide access to support services including repairs or technical support.
International travel introduces new risks to your data and devices. Below are a few key tips to keep you safe while going global. We encourage you to also consult Penn’s Information Systems and Computing (ISC) and the One Step Ahead: Security and Privacy Tips for World Travelers websites.
Consult with your LSP if you require IT services or facilities beyond support for personal devices and connectivity.
- If you have reliable Internet services overseas, it may be more cost effective to leverage services hosted at Penn.
- If you need IT infrastructure or facilities on site at your location, consult with IT staff familiar with your work who can translate your functional needs into specific technical requirements.
- If you are affiliated with an organization while you’re overseas, the organization may be able to provide the IT services or facilities you need.
Access to knowledgeable IT support is essential. Penn staff may be able to provide support with reliable Internet service and/or you can bring a Penn staff for on-site support.
External Links & Resources
- Department of Commerce – Country Guidance
- Federal Bureau of Investigation: Safety & Security Abroad for Professionals
- How to Pick a Cellphone Plan for Traveling Abroad (New York Times, 6/16/2015)
- Traveling Light in a Time of Digital Thievery (New York Times, 2/10/12)
For more information and resources please see Penn's Information Systems and Computing (ISC) Information Security website, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-898-2172.