Welcome to Penn’s International Internship Program (IIP)
Penn’s International Internship Program (IIP) provides opportunities for outstanding undergraduate and graduate students to intern abroad for eight to twelve weeks over the summer.
The majority of internship placements have been with non-profit or non-governmental organizations, but the nature of the placements varies greatly. Some IIP placements require office work, while others require hands-on work at field sites, schools, or clinics. Each intern will receive an award to offset their internship-related expenses, including flight, visa expenses, housing and food, funded by the University of Pennsylvania. This award is not meant to cover your entire internship experience. These global opportunities allow students to apply the academic knowledge they have obtained, while enriching their overall Penn experience with diverse cultural and international exposure and valuable work experience.
If you are interested in spending a summer abroad doing work related to your academic concentration or interests, we encourage you to explore the IIP placements available and contact us with any questions.
The application for the Summer 2017 International Internship Program is now open. Visit the Application page for more information! The deadline for Summer 2017 applications is January 24, 2017 at 11:59PM.
Internships for Summer 2017 will be posted on a rolling basis between November 2016 and January 2017. In the meantime, browse the website to learn more about IIP and take a look at last year's IIP placements.
- Jun 13 10:27AM
- “What Are Your Summer Plans?”
- As a student at an institution as pre-professional as Penn, perhaps the most asked question is “What are your summer plans?” For me, a freshman who had a very vague idea about what she wants to do in the future, this question was quite daunting. The only thing I knew for sure was that I […]
- Jun 13 10:21AM
- Going to Singapore
- I had applied to the International Internship Program as a freshman, but unfortunately wasn’t accepted past the first round. After a year of growth and maturity, I figured I might as well try again this year. I ended up applying to the same firms; my interests haven’t changed evidently. Still, I didn’t really know what […]
- Jun 13 10:17AM
- Preparing for the Internship
- Monteverde, Costa Rica has always represented a place of healing and transformation for me. The fresh mountain air rejuvenates and the simplicity of life here removes the common stressors found in the American lifestyle. After my dad died tragically when I was young, my mom brought my family to Costa Rica to live for a […]
IIP Information Sessions begin in November, however, during Penn Global Week, there will be an info session on September 22nd at 2pm in the new Perry World House. Click here to see more dates and times.
Dyana So, IIP Summer 2014 intern in Israel, had this video featured on SAS Frontiers.
Lauren McCann, IIP Summer 2013 intern in Botswana, submitted this video to Penn Abroad's Travel Arts Festival.