Program Extension


The Program Extension Request Form is to be used by F-1/J-1 students at Penn who are unable to complete their course of study by the program end date on form I-20/DS-2019. 

This section guides your through the EligibilityApplication & Financial Documentation needed for the program extension.

  • Submit your request to ISSS at least 30 days before the expiration date of the I-20/DS-2019. Failure to do so may put you out of status.

  • The extension will extend your I-20/DS-2019, not your visa.

    • You may remain in the US with an expired visa but valid I-20/DS-2019

    • If you travel out of the U.S. after your visa expires, you will need a new US Entry visa to reenter the U.S.

  • F-2/J-2 dependents will automatically be issued updated forms.



In order to be eligible for a program extension a student must:

  • Have continually maintained F-1/J-1 status 

  • Seek an extension for a delay caused by a compelling academic or medical need, such as: change of major or research topic, unexpected research problems, or documented illness

  • NOTE:  Delays caused by academic probation are NOT acceptable reasons for program extension.

Financial Requirement

If there is a change in your funding source, you must provide proof that you are able to continue meeting the expenses of studying at Penn. This includes: living and education costs, plus living expenses for dependent family members, if any.

Please bring documentation of one, or a combination of the following, showing funding for the duration of your extension:

  • A statement showing proof of renewed sponsorship or financial aid. Funding amounts must be clearly stated.

  • An updated Penn scholarship/fellowship letter. Funding amounts must be clearly stated

  • Recent financial certificate (e.g., a bank statement), issued within the past 12 months.

How to Apply

  • Log into iPenn to complete the Student I-20/DS-2019 Extension Request form.

  • Upon verifying your eligibility, ISSS will issue an I-20/DS-2019 with a new completion date.  

  • Usual processing time is 3 to 5 business days. It may take longer during the high-volume season.