Reduced Course Load

F-1/J-1 students are required to maintain full-time enrollment during the academic year.  If you cannot/will not meet the requirement, complete a Request for Reduced Course Load (RCL) and, if you have any questions, meet with an ISSS advisor to discuss your request.

Requesting an RCL
Read the Overview

Read the Overview of the RCL process

See Overview

Explore the RCL Options

Explore the RCL Options to see what works for you

See RCL Options

Apply for the RCL

Apply for the RCL through iPenn

See How to Apply



Before you begin, please read the following items to understand how the RCL process works. 


RCL Options

Below are the situations upon which you could be eligible for a Reduced Course Load (RCL). 


How to Apply for RCL