TN Professionals

The TN (Trade NAFTA) category was developed as part of NAFTA to facilitate the entry of Canadian and Mexican Citizens to the United States in order to engage in professional activities on a temporary basis.

  • The U.S. Department of State (DOS) has issued a list of the professional occupations and minimum qualifications (scroll to Appendix 1603.D.1 (Annotated) of this link) which serves as the basis for TN employment. Direct information about the TN category may be found at INA§214(e)(2), and at 8CFR§214.6.

  • The TN category is only available to citizens of Canada or Mexico. Landed immigrants or permanent residents of Canada or Mexico are not eligible, since the NAFTA and INA have made provision only for citizens of these two countries.


Application & Processing Information

TN processing can happen from within the US or from outside.

NOTE: While it may be possible to change/extend status to TN within the US, the process is costly and more time-consuming than applying for TN status at a port of entry.  Thus, TN processing from within the US is not recommended.


Conditions, Reminders & Dependents Information