US Entry Visa

US Entry Visas are issued by the US Department of State and are obtained at US Embassies or Consulates abroad. The visa application must be presented during a scheduled interview at a US Embassy or Consulate.

  • If you are entering the US for the first time will need to apply for a US Entry Visa (Citizens of Canada and Bermuda are exempt)

  • If you are a continuing student or scholar and your US Entry Visa has expired you will need to apply for a new visa in order to return to the US from abroad. 

  • There are certain exceptions to the Entry Visa requirement for travel to contiguous territories such as Canada and Mexico.

  • The U.S. Department of State provides an online Visa Status Check, which allows both immigrant and nonimmigrant applicants to check the status of their cases at the Consular Electronic Application Center.


Automatic Visa Revalidation for Travel to Parts of North America

Under certain circumstances, if you have an expired US Entry Visa you may re-enter the US after a visit of 30 days or less to "contiguous territories" (Canada, Mexico, & Adjacent Islands) without having to obtain a new US Entry visa prior to entry. This benefit is called "automatic revalidation of visa."


What's Next?

When you arrive in the US you will need to receive an I-94 to enter the country.

Review the I-94 Process