Visa Information

Depending on your country of citizenship, program type, travel duration, and destination country, you may be required to obtain a visa prior to going abroad. A visa is an official permission granted by the authorities of the country where you will travel which allows you to enter and remain in that country. It is your responsibility as the student traveler to determine your visa requirements and apply for any visa you require. Visa requirements around the world can be complex and can change frequently, and it is important that you check the visa requirements of your intended destination country for travelers of your nationality.

Visa Services

The University of Pennsylvania has contracted with CIBT Visas, a trusted visa and travel services provider. Through CIBT, you will be able to check your visa requirements. For a fee, you may also choose to have CIBT assist you with your visa application and processing. Be sure to check visa requirements for every country you intend to enter, even as a tourist, and obtain all necessary visas prior to departure. If you have questions regarding the visa process, you should contact the embassy or consulate of the host country.

It is your responsibility to gather any required documentation (acceptance letter, financial statements, etc.) prior to submitting the visa application. If you require documentation from Penn Abroad, please contact your Global Programs Manager to assist you.

In some cases, a country may require you to present a program acceptance letter, invitation letter, proof of round-trip airfare, or financial statement in order to enter the country, even if a visa is not required. Please check all entry requirements with CIBT, and be sure to bring any required documentation with you when traveling.

A valid passport is required for all visas. Be certain that your passport is valid for at least 6 months past the program end date before beginning the visa application process. U.S. citizens who need to apply for or renew a passport should visit the U.S. State Department website. Non-U.S. citizens should consult with the embassy of their home country.