Every year, new international and U.S. students, both undergraduate and graduate, are invited to be part of the Intercultural Leadership Program (ILP). Now entering its 11th year, this program has been designed to foster a community of intercultural leaders who are ready to take on issues they are passionate about, learn more about communities different than their own, and make a lasting impact at Penn and beyond. This highly selective process will narrow the field to exceptional incoming students from the U.S. and across the globe!
Learn More and Apply Below!
Highlights and Requirements of Participation
A weekend retreat program: September 15-17, 2017. Friday welcome session 5-7pm on campus. Saturday - Sunday overnight retreat off campus at Camp Tockwogh in Worton, Maryland (about 1.5 hours away; transportation included)
Learn more about Camp Tockwogh below.
- We will leave Penn by 7:30am Saturday, Sept. 16 and return to campus by 5pm Sunday, Sept. 17.
- Two intercultural dialogue sessions during the fall semester.
Application and Selection Process
If you are open and committed to learning the skills of intercultural leadership and motivated to share what you learn with your peers, we invite you to apply to the Penn Intercultural Leadership Program. Participants are selected from a pool of incoming undergraduate and graduate student applicants, both international and U.S. students.
Applications are being accepted now through September 4. Notification will be sent to selected participants by September 8, 2017.
Please be sure that you can commit the time and attend all of the mandatory program aspects outlined before submitting your application.
Please note: If you are confirmed as a final applicant for ILP, at the time of acceptance there will be a $50 refundable deposit due (cash or check) to secure your spot. The deposit will be refunded after the weekend retreat provided you have attended and completed all required aspects of the program.
Deadline to apply: 11:59pm on Monday, September 4, 2017
Applications are no longer being accepted
More about Camp Tockwogh
- Located on the Chesapeake Bay in Worton, Maryland
- About 1 and 1/2 hours away by bus
- Cabins sleep 10 people; twin-size beds
- Must bring bedsheets (or sleeping bag), pillow, towel, and toiletries
ILP is developed by partnerships across campus that include:
- Penn Global
- International Student and Scholar Services
- Graduate Student Center
- Vice Provost for University Life
- Counseling and Psychological Services
- Weingarten Learning Resources Center
- Greenfield Intercultural Center
- Office of Student Affairs
- Lipman Family Prize
- Graduate and Professional Student Assembly