ISSS assists international students admitted into an approved full-time program to obtain the necessary immigration documents to enter the US.

The following outlines the four main steps in this process.
    • flowchart01 ver04
    • flowchart01 ver04
  1. Decide on F-1 or J-1 Student status.
  2. Submit your I-20/DS-2019 Application once you receive your 9-digit Admission ID from your Admissions Office.
  3. To acquire F-1/J-1 Status:
    • Pay SEVIS Fee;
    • Apply for US entry visa (except Canadian and Bermudian citizens);
    • Enter the US as F-1 or J-1 student (or apply for a change of status with USCIS);
  4. Check in with ISSS once you arrive at Penn ­.

If you are already in the US in F-1 or J-1 status and plan to transfer your SEVIS record to Penn or change your education level within Penn, please see the FAQ.

If you are already familiar with this process, have received your iPenn Log-in information, and want to proceed with your I-20/DS-2019 application please go directly to: