To come to the US as an F-1 or J-1 Student, you will need first need to request your form I-20 or DS-2019. You will apply on-line via the ISSS iPenn system (see logo below).
You will need the following in order to access and complete the on-line application:
- your 9-digit Admission ID (which is provided by your Admissions Office) or your US Social Security number
- A copy of your passport page(s) with your name, date of birth, citizenship & expiration date
- The required Financial Documentation
Once ISSS receives your complete I-20/DS-2019 application, please allow 3 weeks for processing.
Upon receipt of your form I-20 or DS-2019, you will then take the next steps to acquiring F-1 or J-1 status.
The I-20/DS-2019 application process and US visa interview require you to show sufficient funding to cover the financial requirements of your program.
- Only proof of your FIRST YEAR at Penn is required.
- These requirements are estimated expenses and are subject to change.
- The estimated and actual figures may differ but minor discrepancies will not affect the visa application.
The amount includes tuition, fees and living expenses for one academic year (fall and spring semesters)
- This amount is for the first year of study at Penn.
- Summer expenses are not included.
- The financial information will appear on your I-20 or DS-2019.
- The financial document(s) you provide must equal or exceed the financial requirement for your program.
- The amount shown on your I-20/DS-2019 may be less than the amount you have provided on your financial statements. The I-20/DS-2019 only needs to show you have funds for the estimated cost for your program.
Viewing from China? Click here to view the video instructions on Tudou.
Please review Acquiring Your F-1/J-1 Status for the next steps in the process.