What is F-1?
- F-1 is an immigration status available to international students wishing to pursue full-time academic studies and/or language training programs in the US.
What is J-1?
- The purpose of the J-1 Exchange Program is to increase mutual understanding between the people of the US and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges.
You are eligible for J-1 status, if one of the following criteria is met:
- At least 51% or higher of the total cost of your studies at Penn is paid by a scholarship, fellowship, grant, or assistantship from a non-personal/family funding source.
- Your exchange program is carried out pursuant to a written agreement.
You can maintain your status by:
- Following the instructions included on your I-20/DS-2019
- Familiarize yourself with the policies and regulations outlined below:
The information below is separated into 3 categories: Maintain Full-Time Enrollment & Progress, Points on Maintaining Your Status, & SEVIS Reporting Requirements. Please read through this page carefully as some information varies between F-1 & J-1 Statuses.