International Students & Scholars in non-immigrant visa classifications, e.g. J-1, F-1 H-1B, must file taxes. Possible exemptions include:
- Tax treaties between US and home government
- Student/Scholar employment considered a fellowship, as defined by IRS
ISSS does NOT have the expertise to assist you in preparing your tax return, but this page is provided to give you some guidance on what you need to know and what resources are there to assist you.
- The general tax filing deadline in the US is April 15th.
- For those filing Form 8843 ONLY, the deadline is June 15th.
- ISSS will send you an email by mid-February with information on filing taxes in the US as well as information on tax software for those filing as non-resident aliens.
- If you do not receive the tax email by February 25th please email .
Specific Tax information on this page is separated by the following categories: