Please meet with an ISSS advisor as soon as possible for advising.   ISSS may have copies of your immigration documents to help facilitate the replacement process.

First, you should file a police report for lost or stolen document, follow the instructions under each document heading in order to replace lost or stolen documents:

  • F-1/F-2 I-20s
    • F-1 students:  immediately complete the Request to Replace I-20 or DS-2019 form by logging into iPenn using your pennkey and password. 
    • Upon review and processing, you will receive an email from ISSS with further instructions. 
  • Passport and Visa
  • Contact or review web site information for your country’s embassy or consulate in the US to find out how to obtain a new passport and to make notification of your missing passport to guard against fraudulent use. 

    • Contact information for foreign embassies in the US can be found at:
    • Web site addresses for foreign embassies in the US can be found at: Links to consular offices (the closest is usually in New York City) are usually available from the embassy homepages. 
    • If you have lost all your photo identification, contact your country’s consulate/embassy to find out what alternate documents you may need. 

    Contact the US embassy or consulate that issued your visa to make sure that your visa is not being used fraudulently.   When you next travel abroad you should obtain a new visa in order to re-enter the US.  Contact information for US consulates and embassies can be found at:

  • I-94 Card
  • The necessity to replace your I-94 card will depend on whether you were last issued a paper or electronic I-94 card.  Refer to the automated I-94 process at

    • Please consult an ISSS advisor for as you are required to carry your I-94 card, valid I-94 printout or an unexpired entry/admission stamp with you at all times.
    • If you are replacing a paper I-94, Form I-102 is needed.
      • To download the form and instructions, click here.
  • EAD Card for F-1 Students on OPT
  • Form I-765 is needed to apply for a replacement EAD card for OPT.  Follow the OPT instructions provided by ISSS, including the fee payment, with the following exceptions:

    • Check box for Replacement of lost Employment Authorization Document at top of Form I-765 
    • Send photocopies of all I-20s and a (copy of) new I-20 with current OPT recommendation, in addition to the other documents required.
  • Social Security Card
    • You will need new documents and current authorization for work in the US in order to apply for a new Social Security Card.  If you think somebody is using your Social Security Number, call the Social Security Administration at (800) 772-1213.
    • Note: If you already have a Social Security Number, you usually do not need to show it to anyone.  Generally, you only need to know the number for tax filing purposes and for providing to your employer.  If you do not know your number, you should check with any previous employers, schools, or other institutions (such as your bank) that may have it on record, or on copies of tax forms you previously filed.
  • Identity Theft Concerns
    • Be sure to check your accounts for evidence that any stolen documents (such as credit cards, checks, ATM cards, etc.) are being used, and contact your banking institution if necessary to cancel or put a temporary hold on any accounts.
    • You may want to check your credit report to make sure no one has opened a credit card or other account under your name (usually with a different address) and is charging purchases in your name.  The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires 3 companies to provide you with one free credit report every 12 months. (See the following US Federal Trade Commission web pages for more information:,  It is especially important to check your credit if your Social Security Card (or written Social Security Number) was lost or stolen with your identification.
    • If you have not already filed a report with the police in the area where your documents were lost or stolen, contact the Penn Police to file a report.  The Penn Police may be able to provide you with additional information and resources.