This section is meant for current students and scholars whose immigration status has been sponsored by Penn. If your immigration status is sponsored by another institution, you should contact them for travel advice and requisite signatures.
For international travel outside the US:
- Before you leave – Ensure you have the required Documentation & Signatures
- While you are away – Ensure you have a valid US Entry Visa
- Upon your return – Ensure you have received an I-94 record reflecting the correct nonimmigrant status and duration
For domestic travel within the US, it is a good idea to carry your passport, immigration status documents, and Penn ID.
- Click on your status below to see the required international travel documents.
- Carry a passport that is valid at least six months into the future. Some countries have an agreement with the U.S. that allows their citizens to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration; however, the policy is applied inconsistently by border officials.
- Hand-carry travel documents so that they are easily accessible and available for inspection.
- Travel signatures for F and J status holders are required for re-entry to the US. To get your or your dependent's I-20 or DS-2019 endorsed for travel by ISSS, complete the Travel Signature Request in iPenn by clicking the icon below. If you are in Philadelphia you must drop your I-20 or DS-2019 off at ISSS. The eform will allow you to select a time for drop-off. If you are not in Philadelphia, complete the Shipping Request form in iPenn as well so that we can ship an updated I-20 or DS-2019 to you. The Shipping Request Form also allows you to authorize another person to pick up your document.
After this review you are ready to learn about obtaining your US Entry Visa.