This section is meant for current students and scholars whose immigration status has been sponsored by Penn. If your immigration status is sponsored by another institution, you should contact them for travel advice and requisite signatures.
If you intend to travel outside the US:
- Before you leave – Ensure you have the required Documentation & Signatures
- While you are away – Ensure you have the valid US Entry Visa
- Upon your return – Ensure you received the correct I-94 entry documentation
- Please click on your status below to see the required international travel documents.
- For travel within the US, it is strongly recommended that you carry your passport, immigration status documentation, and Penn ID.
- Some countries have an agreement with the U.S. that allows their citizens to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration. However, the policy is applied inconsistently by border officials; thus, the best practice is to carry a passport that is valid at least six months into the future.
- All travel documents should be hand-carried so that they are easily accessible and available for inspection.
- ALL F and J status holders must have an I-20/DS-2019 endorsed for travel by ISSS. You must complete the Travel Signature Request in iPenn.
After this review you are ready to learn about obtaining your US Entry Visa.