The purpose of the International Student Advisory Board (ISAB) is to enhance the international student community at Penn and provide feedback and recommendations to ISSS in order to provide effective and successful programs and services. Members will also give insight and develop relationships with other Penn units and student organizations. ISAB is composed of:
- Undergraduate and graduate international students
- An Undergraduate Chair and Graduate Chair
- International student appointees of the Director of the ISSS
- A staff member of the International Student and Scholar Services
- Additional individuals from the University may attend as invited guests
This section will show you: How to Apply, Terms of Board Service, Highlights of Participation, and Leadership Experience.
If you are committed to furthering campus internationalization at Penn and would like to serve on ISAB, we invite all international students (undergraduate and graduate students) to apply for board membership. Applications are accepted immediately during early Fall semester of every year and are reviewed as they are received. Interviews are conducted after the posted application deadline. A limited number of applicants are selected as board members. All participants will be awarded a certificate during a spring dinner at the end of the academic year. Regular attendance and participation is required so please make sure that you can commit the time before submitting your application.
Applications will be accepted at the beginning of the fall semester. Please visit this page soon for more information on how to apply.
A term is one academic year, however members may return for succeeding years. Regular participation in the board's activities is essential and expected in order to be effective. Agendas and minutes will be posted on the ISSS website for all to view, including any presentations or proposals presented to the group. ISAB will decide whether or not to convene at least one open forum per year to discuss international community issues or to seek other venues for community input.
Members of the International Student Advisory Board attend meetings during the Fall and Spring semesters; share their questions, concerns and ideas with Penn administrators (International Partners Outreach Group) twice a year; and communicate with their fellow students to obtain feedback on ISSS services.
- Members will be expected to meet on a regular basis throughout the academic year. A typical meeting lasts one hour.
- Board members will be required to communicate regularly with other international students and Penn administrators in between meetings.
- Presentations to Penn administrators during IPOG meetings will also be conducted by ISAB members.
ISAB Members represent the international student body at Penn, assess the services provided by ISSS, and provide recommendations that will improve operations. Members provide insight into what is working well and opportunities that ISSS could consider.
ISAB chairs and subcommittee chairs are elected by ISAB members. At the end of the spring semester, members vote for an ISAB Undergraduate Chair. The Graduate Chair is elected in December.