This information is for qualified students in a valid period of post-completion OPT who wish to request an additional 24 months of OPT authorization. Students with STEM Designated Degrees should review the eligibility requirements, application process, regulatory considerations, and reporting responsibilities.
- Review the F-1 OPT Overview.
- Prepare Form I-983 Training Plan with your employer.
- Submit your OPT I-20 request form in iPenn.
- Within 60 days of receiving your I-20, submit your Application to USCIS.
- Follow the Reporting Requirements.
If you timely file a non-frivolous application for a STEM OPT extension, you will be able to continue employment while the extension application is pending, until a final decision on the I-765 or for 180 days, whichever comes first.
Once you have read through the overview you should prepare Form I-983 Training Plan with your employer. All fields are required to apply, except for the evaluation pages which will be completed after 12- and 24-months. For additional information on how to complete Form I-983, please see the DHS Study in the States STEM OPT Hub.