The spouse and unmarried minor children (under 21 years of age) of the J-1 scholar are eligible for J-2 dependent status.
J-2 dependents must have their own DS-2019.
- To request a DS-2019 for your J-2 dependent with your initial DS-2019, please complete the sections relating to Dependent Information.
- If you are requesting a dependent DS-2019 after you have arrived in US, please submit thee Request for Dependent I-20 or DS-2019 form with the appropriate financial funding information
Once your dependent has received a DS-2019, he/she must either:
- Apply for a Visa at a US Consulate overseas (except citizens of Canada & Bermuda) or,
- Apply for a Change of Status within the US
- J-2 dependents are eligible to apply for employment authorization from USCIS as long as the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1 scholar.
- The Department of State mandates that all Exchange Visitors and their dependents carry adequate health insurance coverage for the entirety of their stay.
- J-2 children are permitted to enroll in elementary or secondary schools while in the US.
- J-2s may engage in full-time study, as long as their primary reason for being in the US is to accompany the J-1.
- The duration of their stay depends on the J-1’s period of stay, and is automatically extended along with the J-1’s