F-2/J-2 Dependents


The spouse and unmarried minor children (under 21 years of age) of the F-1 Student or J-1 Exchange Visitor are eligible for F-2 or J-2 dependent status. A J-1 Exchange Visitor at Penn can be either a “student” or “scholar.”

ISSS wants to provide a welcoming environment for your dependents. Please visit International Spouses and Partners @ Penn (ISPP) for information on events and resources available to you and your family. 


Information for F-2 & J-2 Visa Categories

View the topics below to learn more about F-2 and J-2 dependents

  • The duration of the F-1/J-1 status holder's program is stated in item 3 of the I-20/DS-2019. If the F-1/J-1 is eligible and applies for an extension of stay, the dependent's period of stay will automatically be extended.

  • F-1/J-1 Students can request an extension by completing the “Student I-20 or DS-2019 Extension Request” located in the Student Services section of iPenn.

Each F-2/J-2 dependent must have their own I-20/DS-2019.  The I-20/DS2019 can be obtained from ISSS by the F-1/J-1 status holder. The F-2 dependent I-20 should be signed by the F-1 student.  Once dependents have their I-20/DS-2019, they must select either of these 2 options:

1. Apply for an F-2/J-2 US Entry Visa at the US Embassy or Consulate overseas (except Canadian citizens) and gain F-2/J-2 status through entry to the US by presenting their:

  • dependent I-20/DS-2019

  • passport and

  • and F-2/J-2 US Entry Visa (accompanied by any supporting documents) at the US Port of Entry; 


2. Apply for a Change of Status within the US (please meet with an ISSS Advisor for further details; Visit Advising page)

Initial F-1/J-1 Students

  • If you are applying for your own initial I-20/DS-2019 and will be accompanied by dependent(s), you need to be sure to include dependent information (and funding should be adequate) in the appropriate section of the I-20/DS-2019 application.

  • You need to submit the I-20/DS-2019 Application for F-2/J-2 Dependents (see application instructions below). More information can be found in New Student Immigration.

Continuing F-1/J-1 Students

  • If you are already in the US and requesting a dependent I-20/DS-2019 you need to submit the I-20/DS-2019 Application for F-2/J-2 Dependents (see application instructions below).

Use the online application in iPenn to obtain an I-20/ DS-2019 form to bring your spouse and/or dependent children to the US.

  • Use the link for I-20/DS-2019 Application for Dependents in the Admission section of iPenn

  • Parents or other relatives are NOT eligible to be F-2/J-2 dependents.

  • ISSS will issue an I-20/ DS-2019 for a fiancé(e), but keep in mind that in order to obtain a US Entry Visa your spouse will need to demonstrate proof of the marriage during the visa interview.

  • Dependent children must be unmarried and under 21 years of age.

You must demonstrate the ability to support your dependents by providing proof of additional funding ($6,000 for a spouse and $4,000 for each child) in addition to the funds used to cover your tuition, fees, and living expenses. This amount must be shown regardless of the length of time your dependent(s) will stay in the US.

Required Documentation

  • A copy of your proof of funding, such as a recent official bank statement; a letter (on bank letterhead with the bank officer’s signature, seal or stamp) confirming your funds; or a University of Pennsylvania letter of funding. See the section below for acceptable sources of funding. Multiple funding sources are permitted.

  • Photocopy of your I-94 card (front and back if issued paper I-94) or US entry/admission stamp in passport  (if issued electronic I-94). Refer to the automated I-94 process

  • Copies of the passport identification page for each dependent, where available.

What Funding Sources are Acceptable?

  • Liquid assets (generally checking or savings accounts)

  • Scholarships, grants or fellowships from Penn or a non-Penn source

Not Acceptable

  • Non-liquid assets (stocks or mutual funds)

  • Assessments of the value of real estate or other property

  • A letter stating the salary of a parent or other sponsor


Access the iPenn portal here to apply


J-2 Exchange Visitors are required to have health insurance during the entirety of their stay.

Willful failure to comply with these insurance requirements will result in termination of the Exchange Visitor's program.

Insurance coverage must meet the following criteria:

  • The insurance must cover the entire period of participation in the Exchange Visitor program (i.e. from the DS-2015 program start date to the end date).

  • Medical benefits must provide a minimum of $100,000 per accident or illness.

  • Medical evacuation must be covered in the amount of $50,000, minimum. Medical evacuation is emergency transportation to the home country.

  • Repatriation must be covered in the amount of $25,000, minimum. Repatriation is the transportation of remains back to the home country in the unfortunate event of death.

  • The deductible must not exceed $500 per accident or illness.


Individuals who are Resident Aliens for tax purposes are subject to the individual mandate of the Affordable Care Act. 

    F-2 Dependents are NOT eligible to work.

    J-2 dependents are eligible to apply for employment authorization from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as long as the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1.

    Title 8, Code of Federal Regulations, part 214.2(j)(1(v) states:

    "Income from the spouse's or dependent's employment may be used to support the family's customary recreational and cultural activities and related travel, among other things. Employment will not be authorized if this income is needed to support the J-1 principal alien."

    PLEASE NOTE: Anyone who earns money in the US must have a social security number for taxpayer identification purposes. You may apply for a social security number only after you have received your EAD card. J-2 status holders are subject to social security taxes, federal income taxes and, where applicable, state and local income taxes.

    To apply for permission to work in the US please read and print the Application Procedures.

    F-2 Dependents:

    • An F-2 may study part-time at a SEVP-Certified School, key points:

      • The enrollment must be less than full-time

      • Courses taken may lead to a degree or certificate

      • An additional immigration document is not required

    • F-2 children are permitted to enroll full-time in elementary or secondary schools while in the US (kindergarten through twelfth grade).

    J-2 Dependents:

    • Currently, the regulations do not have a prohibition for J-2s engaging in post-secondary study on a full-time basis, as long as their primary purpose in the U.S. is to accompany the J-1 status holder.

    • J-2 children are permitted to enroll full-time in elementary or secondary schools while in the U.S.

    F-2/J-2 dependents follow similar travel and reentry procedures as the F-1/J-1 status holder, but should carry copies of the F-1/J-1’s most recent immigration documents if traveling separately.