H-1B Specialty Workers

Penn most commonly uses the H-1B temporary professional worker category for tenure-track faculty members and research associates, as well as certain staff positions such as data analysts and research specialists.

  • The H-1B category is available to any person in a “specialty occupation,” that is, a position “which requires the theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge and attainment of a baccalaureate or higher degree or its equivalent in the specialty occupation as a minimum requirement.”

  • The H-1B employee must meet the minimum qualifications for the position, including experience, degree, any license or certificate, and any special requirements, at the time of filing the H-1B petitions.

Please note that ISSS is only responsible for preparing and filing the H-1B petition. We are not responsible for the content of a dependent’s I-539 Application to Extend/Change Status. Although we can include this application with Penn’s H-1B petition for filing, it is the I-539 applicant’s (i.e. not ISSS) responsibility to prepare this application for filing and ensure its contents are accurate and correct.

The hiring departments and the foreign nationals are not authorized to file their own H-1B petitions. 

View H-1B information below organized into 3 sections:

  1. Application & Process

  2. Conditions & Reminders

  3. H-4 Dependents