Economic Hardship

If you are an F-1 or J-1 student who is experiencing unforeseen, serious financial hardship while studying in the U.S., you may be able to obtain off-campus employment authorization. USCIS authorizes economic hardship employment for F-1 Students and the US Information Agency authorizes it for J-1 Students.

Economic hardship employment authorization:

  • May provide help in difficult circumstances by allowing you to supplement your income enough to meet living expenses. 

  • Will not enable you to earn enough to bear the cost of full-time course of study required to maintain student status. 

  • Is not a solution for serious financial difficulties.

The requirements and limitations of economic hardship employment authorization are determined by immigration status. Please read the appropriate section below that pertains to your status and review the Additional Information below that applies to both F-1 and J-1 status holders.


F-1 Economic Hardship


J-1 Economic Hardship


Additional Information for F-1 & J-1