Updated ITIN Support Letter Process

November 26, 2019

If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN) but are receiving U.S. sourced income such as a non-service fellowship, scholarship, or grant, then you may need an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for tax purposes.

The ITIN is a U.S. taxpayer identification number, issued by the Internal Revenue Service, (IRS). It is used to identify individuals who will have to file a tax return, that are not eligible for an SSN since they are not employed in the U.S.

ISSS can provide an ITIN support letter as part of the W-7 filing only to F-1 and J-1 status holders who are sponsored by UPenn and require an ITIN for University purposes.

If you believe you qualify for an ITIN, you can now initiate an ITIN support letter request on iPenn through this eform. Once you submit this eform, you will still have to bring the documents outlined in the eform to our walk in advising to review your request.

For more information regarding ITIN, please see our tax page here.