J-1 New Scholar Orientation
The US immigration regulations governing J-1 status require the program sponsor to provide orientation to its J-1 scholars upon arrival in the US.
- All J-1 scholars are required to complete the J-1 Scholar Orientation on iPenn and bring their original immigration documents to ISSS.
- The check-in process should be completed within 10 days of the program start date on your DS-2019. If your scheduled arrival date has changed, you must contact your department administrator immediately regarding your new scheduled arrival start date.
The check-in process consists of three steps:
- 1. J-1 Scholar Orientation on iPenn
- 2. J-1 Scholar Arrival Form on iPenn
3. Reporting to ISSS to check in with the following original immigration documents. ISSS new scholar check-in is held Monday through Friday between 10:00am - 11:00am.
- J-1 visa (except Canadian citizens)
- Hard copy of I-94 (see https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov)
- DS-2019 issued by Penn
- If you are transferring your J-1 record, any previously issued DS-2019s from your previous institution
- Any other official correspondence from USCIS, such as an I-797, if applicable
If you have a PennCard, please bring it with you. If you don't have a PennCard, please bring your PIN number which is sent to you by email.
In the event that a J-1 Scholar cannot complete check-in at ISSS within 14 days of their program start date, their host department will be required to log into iPenn (using the logo below) to complete a "J-1 Scholar Late Arrival" form.
For information beyond the orientation visit the J-1 Visiting Scholar section of this site.