Transfer-Out Request

To transfer to another institution you should first read the information below and complete the request in iPenn.

Overview and Eligibility

  • You are eligible to transfer to another institution only if you maintain valid F-1 or J-1 status.

  • Once the transfer release date passes, Penn cannot access your SEVIS record and you must report to the new institution.

  • If you wish to transfer prior to the completion of your Penn program you should consult an ISSS Advisor in advance to discuss transfer timing and eligibility requirements.

  • As of the transfer release date, you will no longer eligible to work on-campus at Penn or continue working on your Post-Completion OPT or AT.

  • F-1 students must apply to transfer to the new institution within 60 days of the completion of their program at Penn or within 60 days of the last day of their post-completion OPT.

  • J-1 students must apply to transfer to the new institution before the last day attended at Penn or before the last day of their post-completion AT.

  • Some restrictions may apply to J-1 students transferring to a new institution under the same SEVIS record if they are changing their type of degree or major field of study. Students should discuss their transfer eligibility further with an ISSS Advisor.

  • You must begin classes at the transfer-in school at the next available term. For F-1 students, the next available term must be within five months of the last date of attendance at Penn or OPT end date.

  • If you are not eligible to transfer the SEVIS record from Penn to the new institution, you must request that a new SEVIS record be created by the new institution. You must leave and reenter the United States using the new I-20/DS-2019 and consult an advisor at the new institution for further instruction on travel and re-entry.


How to apply

The request can be completed within iPenn. Log-in with your Pennkey, and look for the "Transfer Out Request" under Student Services in the left menu.