ISSS Form and Document Library

This page provides access to common immigration-related forms and documents for international students, scholars, and Penn department representatives. 

Certain e-forms (e.g., travel signature requests, OPT applications, scholar/employee verification) are only available via iPenn

pageview Sort by Audience:

Hover over a form's name to view a brief description.

Form Name Audience Form Type
I-765, Application for Employment Authorization (external link) Students Students seeking an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to begin employment with Optional Practical Training (OPT) work authorization must file Form I-765 with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
I-94 (external link) All Form I-94, the Arrival-Departure Record Card, is a form used by U.S. Customs and Border Protection intended to keep track of the arrival and departure to/from the United States of people who are not United States citizens or lawful permanent residents.
F-1 Penn Netter Center Employment Form Students Students working for Penn's Netter Center must include a completed Netter Center form with their Social Security Letter Request.
New Student Departure & Arrival Checklist Students This checklist is designed to help newly arriving students prepare for their travels to the United States and arrival on Penn's campus.
J‐1 Student: On-Campus Employment Authorization Request Students J‐1 students may engage in on‐campus employment as long as s/he has obtained approval in writing from his/her J‐1 Responsible/Alternate Responsible Officer (RO/ARO), who represents the J‐1 sponsor and issues Form DS‐2019.
J-2 Employment Application Procedures All J-2 dependents are eligible for work. Here is how to apply for authorization.
H-1B Notification of Temporary Leave Scholars/Departments

If an H-1B employee requires a temporary leave, the Notification for Temporary should be completed and signed by the employee, supervisor, and the departmental contact.

J-1 Application and Arrival Process (Flowchart for Hiring Departments) Scholars/Departments Flowchart for Hiring Department about the J-1 application and arrival process.
Financial Affidavit of Support (for I-20/DS-2019 application) Students This document is used for a student's financial sponsor to attest to the ability to provide financial support.
Financial Documents Cover Sheet (for I-20/DS-2019 application) Students A completed financial cover sheet  must be included with your I-20/DS-2019 application documents.
H-1B Required Items Checklist Scholars/Departments Checklist of required items from H-1B Employees to be obtained by department representatives.
J-1 Scholar Request for J-2 Dependent DS-2019 All Use this application to obtain a DS-2019 form to bring your spouse and/or dependent children to the US. Parents or other relatives are not eligible. 
E-3 Australian Treaty Worker in Specialty Occupation Instructions & Forms Scholars/Departments Information and forms for bringing a scholar to Penn in E-3 Australian Treaty Worker status. 
E-3 Employee Required Item Checklist Scholars/Departments Checklist for bringing a scholar to Penn in E-3 Australian Treaty Worker status. 
J-1 Student Intern Evaluation Form Scholars/Departments As per the U.S. Department of State regulations, the hosting Penn faculty mentor must evaluate the progress and performance of a J‐1 Student Intern prior to the completion of the internship.  
Optional Practical Training (OPT) Checklist Students Checklist for students applying for pre- or post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT).
Optional Practical Training (OPT) Checklist – STEM Extension Students Checklist for current OPT students applying for the STEM OPT extension.
Social Security: On-Campus Work Authorization for F-1/J-1 Students Students To be completed by students applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) for on-campus work authorization
E-3 Position Description Scholars/Departments The hiring department must submit a position description. Position information must be consistent with any official position description on file with the Penn HR office. State the minimum (not preferred or desired) qualifications only, even if the applicant has additional qualifications.
H-1B Employees: Responsibilities of Hiring Department Scholars/Departments Responsibilities of departments hiring H-1B Employees.
J-1 Occasional Lectures or Consultations Scholars/Departments This  handout  is  designed  for  J-1  professors,  research  scholars,  and  short-term  scholars  (henceforth,  “scholars”). It  explains the regulations which permit J-1 scholars to participate in occasional lectures and short-term consultations.
J-1 Incident Report Form Scholars/Departments Per J-1 federal regulation, J-1 program sponsors (ISSS) must be notified of any serious matter involving an exchange visitor or accompanying dependents.
J-1 Scholar Transfer-Out Form Scholars/Departments

This form should be completed by J-1 scholars who wish to transfer their Exchange Visitor Program sponsorship to another institution. 

J-1 Scholar Initial Handout Scholars/Departments

Guidance for new J-1 scholars.

TN Processing Procedures for Outside the US Scholars/Departments

Guidance for TN processing outside of the US.

J-1 Scholar Extension Handout


Maintenance of status guide for continuing J-1 scholars.
J-1 Academic Training Evaluation Form Students Academic Training evaluation form to be completed by J-1 students.
Invitation Letters for International Visitors Students A courtesy template that you can use to write a letter in support of your family members’ visa applications as well as other pointers.