Getting Around

Transport yourself across campus, Philadelphia, and beyond


This section covers how to get around campus, the city as well as information on travel outside the Philadelphia area. 

Visit the brand new SEPTA Travel Center in the Penn Bookstore for any of your transportation questions!

Penn Transit Services

Penn Transit provides a comprehensive transportation system on and around campus within specific boundaries. Popular routes include Penn Bus East & Penn Bus West, which are available for all PennCard holders Monday through Friday, 5pm - 12midnight.

South Eastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority

The SEPTA website has information on public transportation including buses, trolleys, commuter rail trains, subways, and LUCY (the Loop through University City).

NY, DC, & Beyond
Traveling Outside Philadelphia

There are multiple ways to travel to NYC. One inexpensive way is through SEPTA and New Jersey Transit. Take SEPTA's Trenton Line regional rail train to Trenton, NJ then change to New Jersey Transit train, which will take you to New York Penn Station.  

Amtrak trains can also take you to NYC or Washington (or beyond), however these trains are significantly more expensive.

Buses are often a cheaper option for travel to NYC or Washington. Options to explore include, but are not limited to: Bolt BusGreyhound and Chinatown buses.  Check travel time and cost in advance.

See the Travel and Pre-arrival sections for more information about domestic and international travel.

Taxi, Uber & Lyft

There are many Philadelphia taxi companies listed online. A trip from campus to Center City by taxi costs between $8 to $13 and you should tip the driver 15%. It is a good idea to take a taxi or ridesharing service like Lyft or Uber if you must travel late at night and your route does not fall within the boundaries of Penn Transit.

Driving a Car

If you plan to be in Philadelphia for more than a year, you may consider applying for a PA Driver's License, which will allow you to drive in the US. A driver's license will also enable you to rent a car in the US. 

For details on obtaining your Driver's License/State ID Card visit the PA Driver's License section of this site.