Heightened Risk Travel Guidance For Graduate Students, Postdocs, Faculty & Staff
Basic Page Sidebar Menu Travel Guidance
While a petition is not required for this population, we encourage all travelers to take the following steps before traveling to a heightened risk region.
- Register your trip in MyTrips to activate your insurance benefits and access to emergency resources. This is mandatory for Penn-affiliated travel.
- Review your insurance benefits and emergency phone numbers here.
- Consult with the U.S. Department of State, CDC and International SOS for destination-specific guidance on health and safety abroad.
- Register with STEP to enroll your trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy abroad.
- Visit family physician or Travel Clinic prior to departure to assess any health issues that may impact your travel.
- Obtain necessary vaccinations and prescription medications.
- Keep all medications in their original container, with your name on it, in your carry-on bag.
- Send a copy of your passport, daily itinerary, hotel information, flight details and local contact number to trusted friend/family member.
- Contact bank/credit card companies to alert them you are traveling.
- Carry cell phone with international coverage in case of emergency.
- Clean out wallet. Do not take valuables. Take only necessary items.
- Do not drive abroad. Always wear a seatbelt.
- Contact International SOS if you have any questions or concerns before or during your trip.