Global Engagement Fund
The Global Engagement Fund is a competitive grant program that seeds creative, cross-disciplinary projects that will further Penn’s global initiatives. Goals of the fund include (in order of priority):
- Goal 1: Catalyzing entrepreneurial research and partnerships in a global context. Specifically, Penn Global seeks to increase global activity and to promote research and engagement on the part of Penn faculty around the world by providing funding for projects that will lead to additional external funding and continue beyond the scope of the Global Engagement Fund;
- Goal 2: Developing new insight on pressing global issues in key countries/regions of the world and important global trends; and
- Goal 3: Promoting collaboration and the integration of knowledge across Schools and disciplines.
GEF Annual Program
The GEF Annual Program will prioritize support for two categories of activity, including:
Research and engagement awards (up to $40,000)
- Faculty travel to support research abroad (Note: Proposals should clearly outline how an overseas trip will enable research activities and deliverables.
- Faculty and student collaborations
- Curricular and course development initiatives
We will also consider proposals that send interdisciplinary groups of faculty overseas to work collaboratively on education or research initiatives.
Convening awards (up to $12,000)
Research and academic collaborations, such as conferences, symposia, and workshops with clear end products and avenues for continued research.
GEF Investigator-Initiated Program
Eligible applicants can also apply for funding at any time during the year via our GEF Investigator-Initiated Program.
What we do not fund
GEF support cannot be used to support the following activities:
- Faculty salary
- Operational support
The GEF will no longer prioritize funding proposals to bring international visitors to Penn. Faculty seeking support for international visitors should seek funding through the Perry World House International Visitors Grant Program. For more information on this opportunity, please visit: https://global.upenn.edu/perryworldhouse/opportunities/grant-opportunities.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to include additional funding contributed by a School, Center, or external partner (including foundations, governmental organizations, etc.).