Ask me about...
- Being in a homestay and with communities that spoke no English
- Being forced to travel alone and adapt my plans due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Being in the midst of the rapidly deteriorating Bolivian political atmosphere that resulted in a coup
My gap year experience:
Themes I wanted to prioritize during my gap year were language development and learning about the places I stayed. This meant studying local history, politics, traditions, and activism, as well as experiencing local cultures. This multifaceted approach to my time abroad really helped me develop meaningful insights and informed perspectives that relate well with the interdisciplinary ethos at Penn.
I can be contacted at @ezrajchan on Instagram.
Highlights from my gap year:
- Learning a foreign language
- Trekking in the Andean backcountry
- Learning to explore and travel locally and responsibly during COVID-19 restrictions
- Connecting with people with very different backgrounds from my own