Basic Page Sidebar Menu Perry World House
Call For Applications: Perry World House is seeking applications from graduate students for its 2019-20 class of Graduate Associates.
Perry World House is seeking applications from graduate students for its 2019-2020 class of Graduate Associates. This competitive program is intended for all graduate students from any school or department who have demonstrated a serious interest in exploring world affairs in depth during their time at Penn. This program is for students who want to complement their engagement in global affairs within a vibrant community of scholars, students, and visitors while also developing professional skills relevant to shaping policy. Students who complete the program will receive a $1,000 stipend for their participation in this program.
What the program will offer:
The core elements of this program include:
- Monthly Seminar: Program participants are required to participate in a monthly seminar centered on developing skills for engaging the policy community. Examples of potential seminar topics include: policy memo writing, the art of briefing, how to publish in the policy space, interacting with the media, how government budgets work, and more.
- Publish Works: Graduate Associates are expected to produce one publishable policy brief during the 2019-20 academic year. PWH will work with graduate students to assist in editing and the placement of published works.
- Support for further publishing: In addition to publishing one policy brief, feedback and editing support is available should a Graduate Associate wish to pursue larger writing projects. In some cases, additional funding will be available, especially for conference summaries
- Mentoring by PWH Visiting Fellows and Guests: Graduate Associates will have access to small-group conversations and office hours with Perry World House Distinguished Visiting Fellows and guest speakers over the course of their associateship. Click here to learn more about our Visiting Fellows.
- Community Building and Networking: A range of unique professional and social opportunities will be made available to Graduate Associates to network with other Penn and Philadelphia students interested in global affairs and policymaking.
- Preferential Access to PWH Events and Programs: Graduate Associates will gain preferential access to PWH events and programs through a special mailing list and targeted invitations.
The goal of the program is to complement students’ existing academic experiences at Penn by adding further interactive global inquiry and developing the professional skills required to bridge the gap and influence policy. The Graduate Associates Program is intended for about 20-25 students who seek a deep, writing- and discussion-based engagement with Perry World House.
Eligibility and Application Details:
All graduate students, from any Penn school, and CURRENT graduate associates are eligible to apply. To apply, please submit an application that includes:
1). A CV/resume;
2). A 500-word statement of interest that explains why you want to join the program.
3) A 500-word statement of interest that explains what you wish to write about and how it relates to either of Perry World House’s research themes; and
4). (PhD students only) A 1-2 page research statement that explains your academic interests and ongoing research.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The direct link to the application is: https://apply.interfolio.com/62486
The application deadline is May 31st, 2019.
For more information about Perry World House, please visit our website: http://www.global.upenn.edu/perryworldhouse.