Basic Page Sidebar Menu Perry World House
Perry World House's Graduate Associates Program is for all graduate students, from any school or department, who have demonstrated a serious interest in exploring world affairs in depth during their time at Penn.
This competitive program is intended for students who want to complement their engagement in global affairs within a vibrant community of scholars, students, and visitors, while also developing professional skills relevant to shaping policy. Students who complete the program receive a modest stipend for their participation. Click here to meet our 2021-22 class of Graduate Associates.
What the Graduate Associates Program offers
- Monthly Seminar: Graduate Associates are required to participate in a monthly seminar centered on developing skills for engaging the policy community. Examples of potential seminar topics include: policy memo writing, the art of briefing, how to publish in the policy space, interacting with the media, how government budgets work, and more.
- Publish Works: Graduate Associates are expected to produce either a publishable piece, preferably an op-ed, or a presentation on a policy issue during the academic year. PWH works with graduate students to assist in editing and the placement of published works.
- Support for further publishing: In addition, feedback and editing support is available should a Graduate Associate wish to pursue larger writing projects.
- Mentoring by PWH Visiting Fellows and Guests: Graduate Associates have access to small-group conversations and office hours with Perry World House Distinguished Visiting Fellows and guest speakers over the course of their associateship. Click here to learn more about our Visiting Fellows.
- Community Building and Networking: A range of unique professional and social opportunities are made available to Graduate Associates to network with other Penn and Philadelphia students interested in global affairs and policymaking.
- Preferential Access to PWH Events and Programs: Graduate Associates gain preferential access to PWH events and programs through a special mailing list and targeted invitations.